Saturday, September 13, 2008

Memories


This week, my cousin of 36 years old passed away. So sad, leaving behind 4 daughters, a loving wife, a heartbroken father and numerous family members left saddened. But in the process of this, I was able to see family that I have not seen in years. It reminds me yet again how life is so short and we cannot control the day, the "how" or even the age we are to leave this world. We can only choose to make the best of the time we have left.


My uncle Rodney said after the funeral that the service itself "spoke volumes for Jeffrey." I couldn't have agreed more. What a heritage to leave behind the values & love he did! I personally don't know what it feels like to lose a child, but losing my father was a huge loss. Though I've somehow felt closer to him being back in touch with family this past week.


I am reminded of the Apostle Paul when he said, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I knwo what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."


It gives me encouragement to know that Jeff chose to live each day as if it were his last. It gives me comfort to realize (yet again) that with each passing moment in this life, we are on a mere stepping stone leading us to our "real" life. This is temporary and I know that we shall see our family members again!


**Never allow yourself to complain about anything, even the weather**


**Never picture yourself in any other circumstance or someplace else**


**Never compare your lot with anothers**


**Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise**


**Never dwell on tomorrow~~Remember that is Gods, not ours**


These are the words written in a diary of a missionary that lived in Africa for 22 years. Her secret of survival was that "her eyes were fixed on eternity. Her tomorrows were nestled in God's strong arms, she was free to live today. One day at a time she could make the right choices and grow to possess the holy habit of contentment. Ella's focus was eternal, and her focus led to an internal contentment." taken from the book Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow.


No comments: